Friday, December 31, 2010

ASHAMED OF ME?

December 22, 2010 Wednesday

ASHAMED OF ME?

Last night Samantha asked if we would take her to an appointment at 9:30 in the morning. It wasn’t a big deal, but Orson needed to take some time at the internet cafĂ© to research some computer stuff. So I dropped him off there and picked up Samantha. When we got close to Centrelink, some kind of agency that helps Aborigines, she directed me to park in the shade of a tree. She then explained that she would walk through a nearby building and cross the street to a different building. It seemed strange that she didn’t have me park closer, but then I realized that she didn’t want to be seen being driven by a white woman. Made me laugh!
We had a great afternoon at the care center and then did the bread run. Jan Martin, the animal carer, said she has 11 wallabies on bottles and had to buy another crib in order to care for a new one that is injured and needs to be confined. She just amazes me. They don’t take vacations because she doesn’t know who would care for her “babies.” (What an understanding husband she has!) We also had a great visit with the Catholic missionary family. Her 9th baby is due in February. She’s the same age I was when I had Sam. I can’t wait to hold her tiny one!

No comments:

Post a Comment