Friday, June 4, 2010

City Contacting

May 13, 2010 Thursday

We had a new experience today. We went “city contacting.” It’s when a group of missionaries meet in the busiest part of Perth and contact people on the street for a couple of hours. We showed up along with 12 other missionaries. The leaders had brought a box of pass along cards, BoM’s, DVDs, etc., that we could use. We were in a plaza in front of the big post office which is adjacent to a 6 block area “walking mall.” There was a small alcove by the PO where we gathered for a prayer. We left the box there. They said they’d only had the box stolen once. We all scattered. Orson and I worked an area where lots of people passed. There were a few benches and sitting areas. I found I liked to sit down by a “mature” woman who wasn’t texting or listening to music. I’d start visiting with her and then explain why we were there, a little about the gospel being restored with the fullness of Christ’s teachings. I had some good conversations, and got 2 names for follow-up. I spent a lot of time with one woman who had heard about the church 30 years before but she couldn’t get over Joseph Smith. We talked a lot about the questions she had about the plan of salvation. She never did give me her info, but I think I got her questioning some things she’d never thought about before. She took a card with the phone # where she can call and request a visit. When we finished, we met with the missionaries and returned what we hadn’t handed out. The box was still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment