Thursday, November 11, 2010

CHURCH HISTORY

November 10, 2010 Wednesday

I’ve been reading the Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt. I recommend it to anyone to read. Anyway, tonight I was reading about the mission the 12 apostles made to England around 1841. They held a conference in Manchester on April 6 and conducted a lot of business including the calling of presidents of several small conferences (branches?) within their Manchester Conference. The last of the presidents called was William Kay for the Froome Hill Conference.
That name rang a bell—my paternal great grandmother came from England, and I have several ordination certificates and “member in good standing” certificates of that family from when they immigrated to Utah. So I opened up my family history program and there he was, my great-great-great grandfather, William Kay, born in Preston, England in 1778 and died in Ogden, Utah in 1848. I wasn’t aware that he’d been a conference president. My grandmother had written short life histories of her parents and grandparents, but there wasn’t anything about the next generation. See the blessings that come from reading church history books?

1 comment:

  1. I knew I was named after someone!
    Melanie KAY!

    ReplyDelete