Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Daughters of God

July 1, 2010 Thursday


We had Young Women here at the house tonight. We’d told both the Shires and the Rollasons that we’d pick up the girls, but evidently no one told the Shires girls. When I went out to get in the car, Carolyn Shires and her friend, Jessica, were just arriving. So I put them in the car, and we went to the Rollasons. Tammy had forgotten, but she quickly changed her clothes and came. Both Shires and Rollasons have older daughters who could have come, but they didn’t. I hope we can get them coming.
After the prayer, I showed them copies of the YW theme. Nobody even knew the YW had a theme. Tammy is 14 and Carolyn is 12 as is Jessica. So we stood and read it together. They thought it had some hard words in it.
I had them make some rice krispy treats before we did the lesson. The only marshmallows I could find were strawberry flavored. The treats ended up tasting really good. I’d found out on the way to our house that none of them had eaten dinner (6:30 pm), so we gave them the left over chicken noodle soup from dinner. It was homemade and they really liked it. I also opened a small bag of Doritos we had, but the girls hardly touched them. That surprised me.
Coincidentally, the first lesson in the YW manual #1 is “Daughter of God.” So the lesson was well correlated with the theme. Part way through the lesson, Jessica asked if she was sinning to be learning about a different church than the one she attends. (She couldn’t tell us the name of it.) I assured her that it wouldn’t be a sin because she is learning truth. Sure hope the people in the other church agree. Jessica lives with her mom in Derby and visits her dad down here when school is out. Random questions came up through the lesson: Do you believe in resurrection? Why are we called Latter Day Saints?
It all wrapped up in an hour, and the two Beehives were getting rowdy just like Beehives do. We let them take the rest of the treats home to their families.
I hope I can keep it up on a weekly basis. These girls need the instruction so much, and President Robinson thinks that they really need to be able to come into a stable family home and just “soak in” what it can be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment